Montenegro PM accuses pro-Russian opposition over 'plot'
Podgorica (Montenegro) (AFP) - Montenegro's outgoing Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic on Wednesday accused the pro-Russian opposition of involvement in an alleged plot to "execute" him.
The main opposition pro-Russian Democratic Front was "part of the plot" to seize parliament and the premier after last month's elections, Djukanovic told Pink M private television.
"I see this activity as participation in preparation of my murder," Djukanovic said.
The bloc has repeatedly denied speculation in the media that it was involved in a plot to seize Djukanovic and parliament, after the October 16 polls, and proclaim victory for the opposition.
The special prosecutor for organised crime and corruption Milivoje Katnic said on Sunday that "a powerful organisation" of about 50 people from Russia, Serbia and Montenegro was behind the alleged plot.
A group of Serbians were arrested on the eve of the vote, while the prosecutor said the organisers were "Russian nationalists."
However, Katnic on Sunday said: "We have no evidence that the state of Russia was in any way involved."
Fourteen of those arrested, including a retired Serbian police commander, have been placed under one-month detention while six others were released. Two Russian nationals allegedly involved in the plot remain at large, according to Katnic.
The weapons for what Montenegro officials called a "terrorist attack plan" have never been found.
The Democratic Front openly calls for closer ties with Russia and Serbia and is against membership of either the EU or NATO, calling for a referendum on joining the military alliance.
Montenegro was invited to join NATO in December, a decision yet to be ratified by Podgorica and existing member states.
Djukanovic's party topped the polls last month but he is stepping down and President Filip Vujanovic designated deputy PM Dusko Markovic as the new prime minister earlier Wednesday.