Latest blog articles
Five million Brits expected to take UK breaks over August Bank Holiday
More than five million Brits are planning a holiday at home for the August Bank Holiday weekend this year according to a VisitEngland survey released today.
VisitEngland’s Bank Holiday Trip Tracker survey shows that 5.1 million Brits are planning an overnight holiday trip in the UK this weekend, with 4.6 million planning a holiday in England.
Brits holidaying at home for the long weekend are expected to generate about £1.25 billion for the UK economy, of which £1.1 billion will be spent in England.
VisitBritain director Patricia Yates said: “Record numbers of Brits have been taking holidays at home this year and with so much going on this summer the August Bank Holiday weekend is another chance to enjoy a great holiday whether on a seaside, countryside or city break.”
The survey also shows that a further 3.6 million people are still undecided about whether to take an overnight holiday trip in England over the Bank Holiday weekend with about 40 per cent saying they are waiting to see what the weather is like and about 20 per cent saying they like to decide at the last minute.
Earlier this year, VisitEngland launched its domestic marketing campaign for 2016 to get more Brits to holiday at home.
The campaign inspires people to share images of their own amazing holiday moments in the UK using the hashtag #OMGB, some of which are shared across VisitEngland’s Twitter, Instagram and Facebook platforms.
It has been a record-breaking first four months of the year (January to April) for domestic holiday trips in England. From January to April Brits took 11 million holiday trips, eight per cent more compared to the same period last year, and spent £2.8 billion, 22 per cent up on last year and taking both measures to record levels for this period.
These figures come on the back of a strong 2015 with domestic holiday trips and spending both up seven per cent on the previous year to 43.7 million holiday trips in England and £10.7 billion respectively.
The number of Brits taking short-breaks in England was up ten per cent compared to the previous year with people also taking about four million more short-breaks in England than they did ten years ago.Read on the original site
Ancient limestone caves in Ha Long Bay suffer damage
Illegal excavation in limestone caves was rampant before 1995. Photo by VnExpress Some ancient limestone caves in Vietnam’s Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage site visited by millions of tourists each year, have been damaged, local officials said. Tourists to Cap La, one of the caves, said they found some stalactites broken off with many broken pieces on the ground. The cave, believed to be thousands of years old, is famous for these stalactites of various shapes and sizes. It is not… chat_bubble_outline Read More...
Oil industry urges Trump to approve Dakota Access pipeline
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Industry leaders are urging President-elect Donald Trump to make approval of the disputed Dakota Access oil pipeline a priority when he takes office next month, but a spokesman for Trump isn't offering many clues about how the incoming president might act.Meanwhile, the leader of the Standing Rock Sioux is calling on pipeline opponents to leave a camp in southern North Dakota where they've been protesting for months, as dangerous winter weather sets in. Many are vowing to… chat_bubble_outline Read More...
Tennis - All is forgiven as France tackle Czechs for Fed Cup
- The Czech Republic target a fifth Fed Cup title in six years against a French side desperate to bury a summer of in-fighting which threatened to torpedo their hopes in the final. Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic were suspended by France for "unacceptable" behaviour at the Rio Olympics after blasting their own federation. But the doubles pair were reinstated in late September, clearing them to return for the final on Saturday and Sunday in Strasbourg where France will bid for a first… chat_bubble_outline Read More...
US 'resistance' movement coalesces... on Twitter
Washington (AFP) - A social media "resistance" movement is taking shape against the Trump administration, inspired by the new president's efforts to control information.It began after the deletion of tweets and data from official US accounts and websites which proved embarrassing to the new president, including government reports on climate change, which have been challenged by President Donald Trump.Some took to Twitter with "alternative" handles -- claiming to be federal employees exercising… chat_bubble_outline Read More...
Napoli hosts 25 young migrants at match against Lazio
NAPLES, Italy (AP) — Napoli hosted 25 young migrants at the Serie A match against Lazio on Saturday in an initiative with the city's administration.The youngsters were rescued from the sea by the coast guard on Oct. 23, after arriving on a boat from Africa.They sat in the stands with Naples Mayor Luigi de Magistris and showed a banner with the words "Forza Napoli" and "thank you" written in different languages.Near them were schoolchildren of similar ages from Naples, who were invited to the… chat_bubble_outline Read More...