Latest blog articles
Michigan recount now in doubt; Pennsylvania sets hearing
DETROIT (AP) — Michigan's presidential recount appeared in doubt on Wednesday, two days after it started, after a state appeals court said the Green Party candidate's poor showing in the election disqualified her from seeking another look at the vote.
Meanwhile, the fate of Green Party candidate Jill Stein's request for a recount in Pennsylvania must wait at least until a federal court hearing on Friday, just four days before the Dec. 13 federal deadline for states to certify their election results.
President-elect Donald Trump narrowly defeated Democrat Hillary Clinton in both states and Wisconsin, which started its recount last week.
None of the recounts were expected to affect the outcome of the election. Stein, who received about 1 percent of the vote in all three states, said she requested them to verify the accuracy of the vote. She has suggested, without evidence, that the votes were susceptible to hacking.
Here's what's happening in each state and in Nevada, where a partial recount of the race was requested by independent presidential candidate Roque De La Fuente:
The recount is more than 70 percent complete in Wisconsin, and Clinton has gained just 82 votes on Trump, who won the state by more than 22,000 votes. The Wisconsin Elections Commission reported Wednesday that 34 of 72 counties had completed their work and that the others are on track to finish by next week's deadline. More than 2.1 million votes out of the nearly 3 million cast have been recounted.
A recount that started Monday might end after the state appeals court said Stein has no standing to have the votes recounted. The court said she finished fourth in the election and doesn't qualify as an "aggrieved" candidate under Michigan law.
The court ordered the state elections board to reject her recount petition. Attorney General Bill Schuette, a Republican, said the decision means the recount "must stop." But Stein's attorney, Mark Brewer, insisted the recount isn't over.
Stein is appealing that decision to the Michigan Supreme Court.
The elections board met again Wednesday but said it will wait to decide whether to end the recount until it sees what U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith does. He had ordered Monday that an immediate statewide recount of roughly 4.8 million ballots should start. Several counties did, including the largest, Wayne County, where Detroit is located.
But Goldsmith's decision dealt with just the timing of the recount. Goldsmith heard arguments Wednesday over whether to lift his recount order. He has said he will issue a written decision.
Trump won Michigan by about 10,700 votes over Clinton.
U.S. District Judge Paul Diamond in Philadelphia on Tuesday scheduled a hearing Friday on the request for a recount. The Republican Party and Trump warned that the case threatens Pennsylvania's ability to certify its election before the Dec. 13 federal deadline. Stein's team hasn't produced evidence of hacking, but calls Pennsylvania's election system "a national disgrace."
Also Tuesday, Pennsylvania election officials updated the state's vote count to show that Trump's lead over Clinton had shrunk to about 44,000 out of more than 6 million votes cast. That is still shy of Pennsylvania's 0.5 percent trigger for an automatic statewide recount. A state spokeswoman said 15 provisional ballots remained uncounted.
A partial recount is underway in Nevada at the request of De La Fuente, who finished last with a fraction of 1 percent of the vote. He paid about $14,000 for the recount to provide what he called a counterbalance to the recounts sought by Stein. Most of the 92 precincts being re-counted are in the Las Vegas area, with eight of the precincts in four other counties. If the sample shows a discrepancy of at least 1 percent for De La Fuente or Clinton, a full recount will be launched in all 17 Nevada counties. Clinton defeated Trump in Nevada by 27,202 votes, out of 1.1 million votes cast. Nevada Secretary of State spokeswoman Gail Anderson said the recount will be finished by the end of this week.
Associated Press writers Ed White in Detroit; Marc Levy in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Scott Bauer in Madison, Wisconsin; and Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Prosecutors seek to question Rome mayor of problem hires
ROME (AP) — Prosecutors are seeking to question Rome's embattled mayor over one of several problematic appointments that have tarnished her young administration and Italy's populist 5-Star Movement.In a Facebook post Tuesday, Mayor Virginia Raggi confirmed the investigation and said she had "complete faith" in prosecutors and was prepared to provide them with all clarifications.Prosecutors are investigating the appointment of Renato Marra as director of Rome's tourism department. His brother… chat_bubble_outline Read More...
Tesla says it hopes to work with Panasonic on solar energy
TOKYO (AP) -- U.S. electric car maker Tesla says it plans to start working with Japanese electronics company Panasonic Corp. on solar energy.Panasonic had no immediate comment Monday on Tesla's statement on its corporate blog that the companies have signed a non-binding letter of intent to begin collaborating on production of photovoltaic cells and modules at Panasonic's facility in Buffalo, New York.The deal requires shareholders' approval of Tesla's planned acquisition of San Mateo,… chat_bubble_outline Read More...
Marseille misses chance to move up to 5th place in Ligue 1
PARIS (AP) — Marseille paid the price for leaving key players on the bench as it lost away to struggling Metz 1-0 in the French league on Friday.A draw would have moved Marseille up to fifth place, but it remains in sixth ahead of this weekend's matches,Metz climbed out of the relegation zone and up to 15th place thanks to midfielder Yann Jouffre's winner in the 83rd minute.Marseille manager Rudi Garcia left top scorer Bafetimbi Gomis, new signing Dimitri Payet and midfielders William Vainqueur… chat_bubble_outline Read More...
Fun, free family events for New Year's Eve
Read on the original site chat_bubble_outline Read More...
Thai police say 15 bomb suspects at large as two appear in court
Experts investigate the Erawan shrine in central Bangkok, Thailand, on August 18, 2015, the day after a deadly blast killed 22 people at the shrine. : Reuters: Athit Perawongmetha Thai police cannot find 15 suspects in connection with a bomb at a shrine in Bangkok last year that killed 20 people, an officer said on Wednesday, as two ethnic Uighur Muslims from China accused of involvement appeared in a military court. No group claimed responsibility for the Aug. 17 blast at the Erawan Shrine, a… chat_bubble_outline Read More...